Re: Heater removal

To: jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
Subject: Re: Heater removal
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:08:25 EST
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:52:13 -0800 John Bartholomew
<jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com> writes:
What if I don't want to remove the whole heater, but just change the
core, is this an easy task?
>Andy
.  You may be able to get away with opening the front cover enough to
remove & replace the core. So give it a shot,

DONT!!! - you will distort the front cover -AND THAT'S A RACING CERT!
(any guesses whether i've been there done that?????)
The heater has to come out to replace the core, its a sad fact - also,
since youre rebuilding it anyway you might as well do the whole job and
clan and refurbish it

it can't be any worse than rebuilding the rear end you just did!

Funnily enough , i think the jobs are about on a par!......

I would get myself some foam sealing strips to replace the ones inside
the heater.  They seal the core so the air passes through instead of
around,
(max heat transfer). When you get it apart, you will see what I am
referring to.

Good point, they are almost always melted and lying in crumbled bits at
the bottom anyway!

Jdbs method of removal (which i snipped) seemed pretty good to me except
the reference to getting the core out without taking out the unit -
theres nothing worse than having to look at something you've f****d up
every time you open the bonnet just because you tried to take a short
cut!!

Good luck

mike robson
69 roadster (heater works - kinda - but has to come out)
70 BGT (taken out and refurbished)
72 roadster (which has a new heater box cos i tried to change the core
without taking it out!!!!!!)