That darned clutch again

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: That darned clutch again
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:59:48 -0600 (CST)
Last week I put a new clutch master cylinder in (brand new too), and put my
rebuilt slave cylinder back on.  I bled the clutch, and went on about my
business as it seemed to work great.

A few days later, I get in and I get nothing but grinding.  I bleed it
again, and go on.

The next day (today), I get in, and it grinds yet again (I'm still able to
get it in gear and drive, but it's rough).

All this time, I've been looking for any brake fluid anywhere, and I don't
seem to see any.  Yesterday, I took the master cyliner out, and made sure
that the rear bolt was tight, and I even added a little gasket stuff for
good measure.  There isn't any down there around the slave cyliner either.  Hmmm

One thing that irked me about the slave cylinder when I rebuilt it was that
some PO had put a nut on the end of the pushrod to get more length on it.  I
said...Hmm...maybe this is how they compensated for a leaky master cylinder,
which is probably true.

Maybe I'm still leaking out the rear of the new master cyl.  There are two
washer gaskets on that thing.  They both have some sort of raised area on
one side.  Which side is the raised part supposed to go against?  Maybe I
did that wrong, and a little air is getting in there.  Hmmm...any ideas?

Blake (more problems but still having fun) Wylie
1970 MGB