Compression Test

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Compression Test
From: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 15:23:57 -0600
Well, the wet test came out the same, so I guess the rings are ok, which =
is confirmed by the lack of smoke. And I did it correctly this time, =
unscrewing the dampers and opening the throttle.
So....the head is toast, and the slight miss is probably the one =
cylinder which reads at 55! In conjunction with the leaky exhaust, of =
course.
Do I risk further damage by driving the car small amounts with this low =
compression, suffering head? I don't want to turn a small problem into a =
bigger one, like busting the head when all I need to replace now are the =
valves, seats, springs and guides. I would think a couple of miles a =
week overall will not affect the head's status.
The guys that work at the craft shop said, "Well, then, drive it!" Their =
disdain for this non-American, furrin, tiny little car was quite =
amusing, but they were nice about it.
Dan
'73 B
Ft. Knox, KY