Re: patching rust holes?

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: patching rust holes?
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:39:05 +0000
Scott Gardner wrote:

> Well, I was investigating a paint bubble on one of the doglegs (the
> little curved part aft of the door sill), and I found a rust-through
> hole under the bubbled paint.
>         How do you patch a small rust-hole when you have no access to the
> backside of the panel?  Am I looking at having a whole new dogleg
> welded in?  I need to have the floor pans replaced anyway, so I may
> just farm out the dogleg as well.
> Scott

If, by dogleg, you mean the lower-front part of the rear wing that
covers the end of the sill, there is a standard repair panel for this
area, it has to be replaced when doing sills.  Once it is back in place
you do not need to drill holes to protect it with Waxoyl, it is easily
accesible if you remove the trim panels inside the rear wings, and you
should do this anyway to protect the inside of the outer and inner
wings, as well as the hidden end of the sill.  You do need holes to
protect the sills, however.  This panel is not structural, it is only a
cover plate.

BTW I think what is referred to as a 'flanger' in subsequent posts we
call a 'joddler'.

PaulH.