Air pump seized

To: MG Enthusiasts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Air pump seized
From: "Michael F. Adamson" <madamson@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 00:42:49 -0500
Listers,

The air pump on the '77B seized up tight and took out both belts.  I gues=
it was the heat transferred from the common pulley.  Pouring rain on the
interstate, burned my fingers on the air pump pulley, got a new belt on t=
he
water pump/alternator/crank and motored home.  =

Car seems to run just fine without the air pump. Two questions:  am I
causing any damage running it like it is 'til I get it fixed/replaced;
second anybody have any experience rebuilding one of these things or am I=

into a "new" one?  Moss wants the princely sum of $339.95 for a rebuilt
unit with a $50 core charge.  Help!

Regards,
Michael. =