MGB starting.... another day...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB starting.... another day...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 03:28:24 -0500
...another dead battery, no start.

  Here's today's attempts.

  I checked the float level on the front carb. Seems to
be ok. It's the all-plastic type that requires shimming to be adjusted
so I didn't look too closely beyond "close enough" to not
be the problem.

  I adjusted all the valve clearances. A few were a bit
tight but nothing absurd. Worth doing, but I don't think
anything here was "the problem".

  Checked the spark plugs. Cleaned them a bit, they seemed
to be a bit black. Which implies to me they were firing at
least occasionally, it wasn't oil it was soot.

  Then... back to cranking. In one attempt it seemed
SO CLOSE it seemed to be firing almost half the
time, but just would not kick over fast enough to release
the starter. I'd get two weak fires in a row, then
some missing, then a couple of fires, no real
pattern to it.

  Then opened plugs again. #1 looked dry and perfect,
as if it was firing. The other three were wet, so I
dried them and tried again until I ran out of battery
power.

  Curious if I were to hook it up to another car and
just crank a lot more, would it eventually start? However,
not sure if this is actually progress, unless running
the engine for a few minutes would clean it out enough to
make it start normally.

  Charging the battery as we speak, so I can try again
tomorrow morning for another cycle.

  Any tips? I've checked and rechecked everything there
is to check... it just doesn't want to start.

  Any good advice on checking the exhaust system for
blockages? (when alone)

  It starts to become less fun as I run out of ideas. :<

  Thanks again to all who helped so far.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada