Re: Physics/reasoning problems (no LBC)

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Physics/reasoning problems (no LBC)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:24:53 -0500
Scott Gardner wrote:
>   I give you two cylinders, both identical in appearance and weight.
> One is made of aluminum, and is solid.  The other is made of gold,
> and has the center hollowed out (outside surfaces are unbroken,
> however.)  Both are painted an identical non-conducting British
> Racing Green (obligatory lame attempt at LBC content).
>         Performing only non-destructive testing, with materials/methods
> available in the typical household, how can you tell which cylinder
> is which?  Tapping on the cylinders with a mallet produces identical
> sounds.

  Weigh them. The gold one will be lighter, because Gold is
measured in Troy weight.

  Similar to the "which is heavier, a pound of feathers or
a pound of gold" question.

  (even non-trick questions deserve trick answers)

  In the real world though, you could spin them into each
other and note the rebound. The gold one will have a higher
moment of inertia because of peripheral weighting.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada