Re: Physics/reasoning problems (no LBC)

To: milkm@mail.vt.edu
Subject: Re: Physics/reasoning problems (no LBC)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:32:51 +0000
> Trevor:
>
>         How about measuring their density??  All you would need to do is to
> get their weight and determine the volume of each cylinder.  The volume
> would most easily be found by a water displacement method, i.e, fill a
> graduated measuring bowl with water(to some volume, not all the way full),
> add the cylinder and measure the volume increase.  Simple subtraction would
> give the volume of cylinder(for the aluminum cylinder, using the formula for
> volume of a cylinder should suffice).  Dividing the mass by the volume will
> give a density for each, easily comparable with a known literature value.
> Their are problems with this technique, however...one is limited by the
> accuracy of the measuring bowl and the scale used.
>

>        Matt Milkevitch

Matt,
        Good thinking, but the weight of the two cylinders is the same, and
so are their outside dimensions, so the AVERAGE density of both
cylinders is the same.
        Oh, and it has nothing to do with the pound of feathers/pound of
gold bit.  I should have seen THAT one coming, on this list!
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner