Re: Wiper chrome

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: Wiper chrome
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:08:29 -0500
miker15@juno.com wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:37:59 +0000 "Scott Gardner"
> <gardner7@pilot.infi.net> writes:
> >
> >> The thread on wipers reminded me of a question I wanted to ask.
> >> My 74B roadster (ex-California) has three black wiper arms.
> >> Underneath the black paints seems to be bright chromework, that
> >> can be seen at the spots where the black paint has come off.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to take the paint off and end up with shiny wiper
> >> arms?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Peter
> >>
> >Peter,
> >       Where the old finish has come off, has it flaked off or worn
> >through?  If it's flaked off, then the black is probably paint, and
> >you may be able to use a chemical stripper on the arms to remove it.
> >If it has simply worn through, it may be an anodized part, in which
> >case the underlying finish might not be chrome, and you might not be
> >too happy with it once you got all of the black off.
> >Scott
> >
> They are not chrome underneath and yes, you will be disappointed.
> Yous can buy the chrome replacements though if thats your preference
> which were standard through 70 or 71
>
> mike robson
> 69 roadster (chrome wipers)
> 70 BGT (chrome wipers)
> 72 roadster (black wipers, stripped and finished in satin acrylic)

Not so, Mike.  The stock wiper arm on the '69 US Spec model was a dull,
silver finish - not chrome and not shiny.  The Brit market wiper arm was
chrome, so I concluded this too was the result of some sort of safety
spec that was buried in the law (reflections of the sun off shiny wiper
arms temporarily blinding driver who, unable to see, caroms off the
oncoming semi and takes out 14 baby carriages.......)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/