Re: UK Historic Vehicle Survey

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: UK Historic Vehicle Survey
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 16:46:28 +0000
Scott Gardner wrote:

>> Thus, under a third of us cover more than 3,000 miles. Only 4% cover in
>> excess of 10,000 miles a year.
>>
>> 6. 33% or historic vehicles are used as regular transport (i.e., more
>> than three times a week).

> So a full third of the cars are daily drivers, but only 4% of the
> owners drive any one of their classic cars more than 10,000 miles a
> year?  I don't know how many miles they consider "regular" transport,
> but I put two hundred miles a week on mine, just going to work!

Depending on where I happen to be working I put up to 150 miles per day on my
V8 -
except when it's sunny and then it's the roadster, but 10,000 miles per year is
frequently quoted as the UK 'average', and that includes people who travel as
part
of their daily work.  Those that travel to a fixed place of work, do their
eight
hours then travel home again generally do considerably less, according to
Government statistics issued from time to time.

>         I'm also a little confused about the footnote.  How could MG owners
> own a modern vehicle the same marque as their collector cars?  With
> the exception of the few people owning MGFs, there ARE no modern MGs!

Metro, Maestro, Montego (230,462), RV8 (c 1300)and MGF (20,000 so far) (David
Knowles et al).

PaulH.