Electrical problems with a Midget :-(

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electrical problems with a Midget :-(
From: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:27:11 -0600 (CST)

Hey guys, clutch is working great.

I went to get my car inspected and the blinkers decided to quit working
:-(

Here's the sequence of events.  I installed a new brake light switch
since the old one was very corroded and did not work.  Everything worked
OK for the first few miles.  I noticed that the tach was jumping around
a bit.  A little while later it had stopped working and the Fuel and
Temperature gauges were dead.  When this happens the turn signals do not
work, but the emergency flashers do work.  Brake lights still work,
headlights still work, wipers still work.  Every once in awhile the
gauges come alive and the flashers will work again.

I suspect that there is a bad ground somewhere but I haven't located it
yet.  The other culprit may be the instrument voltage stabilizer, but it
is such a simple device (I opened it up) that I can't picture it going
bad.  Are there any common bad grounds to look for?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Ron Madurski