MGA distributor Q

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA distributor Q
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:54:14 -0600
Last week I finished my big home improvement project for the winter
(hanging a suspended ceiling in the basement) and to celebrate I pulled the
MGA's distributor.  The vernier timing adjustment was frozen so I figured
that I would go through the whole thing and see what is what.

Most of the whats are in good shape.  The bushings are in great shape with
very little play and the cam surfaces are smooth and unworn.  The vacuum
advance works and, after some time in a friend's sandblast cabinet,  looks
great.

The issue is the advance springs.  They are loose and don't pull the cam
assembly back as far as I think it should.  There is a positive stop for
full advance- a little dog leg hits against one of the spring mounting
pins- but at full retard it seems to swing about helter skelter.  If I
force the cam further clockwise (retarded) it will come to a positive stop
of sorts where the advance weight wedge between the shaft and two solid
wear block mounted on the lower shaft flange.  This design is new to me and
nothing like the Chevies and Chryslers that I have done in the past.

Should the springs pull the cam assembly back all the way to this solid
stop?  The sandblaster friend also has the good sense to own a 1600 A so we
inspected his dizzy last night.  His springs did not look as stretched as
mine but they still did not pull the cam assembly back to the point where
the advance weights wedge tight.

I know my springs are stretched in any case.  Does anyone carry new
springs?  Has anyone tried to shorten a set of stretched springs?  Has
anyone ever taken an A distributor to a speed shop and had them recurve it?
 Am I being to anal retentive on this?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA wavering between advanced and retarded