Re: Mazda Rotary, Info please?

To: bruset@monmouth.com
Subject: Re: Mazda Rotary, Info please?
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:09:22 EST
Hi Ben,
  I met a fellow who did the deed with his bugeye.  Said it was easy.
  He removed and stored the original engine and transmission, then
painted the mazda engine the proper Austin green. Made new engine and
tranny mounts, installed a radiator to fit the Mazda's requirements and
put it all together.
  I have ridden it this car. It's a real hoot.  Looks stock, except for
minilite wheels that reveal the disc brakes he installed front and rear.
It idles quietly and can be driven gently and smoothly around town. On
the other hand, it need not be driven that way. The acceleration can be
fierce.  Fuel consumption is what you want it to be, either 30+ mpg, or
thirsty.  With the mazda gearbox, it has a fifth gear that makes the car
a good cruiser on the highway, and the power/weight ratio makes it quick
at any time.  The mazda engine weighs the same or less, so the steering
is equal or better to the original.
  This fellow did a good job, and did not cut up the sprite. Looking
under the bonnet, all is neat and orderly. It looks like a factory job.
There is so much space left over in the engine room with that little
mazda engine tucked deep and low into the bay.
  I'm not one to advocate modifications for the purpose of seeing what is
possible with enough effort (street rods are not my idea of a useful
activity) but I do admire this car since he had updated the weak part of
the mechanical systems, has kept power and braking in proportion, and has
kept the same spirit of cheap and chipper that the car was originally
intended to provide. All modifications are reversable.
Bob

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 00:46:32 -0500 Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
writes:
>>I would like to know if there are conversions for midgets and the
>Mazda
>>rotary engines.  IF someone has put a rotary in a midget, what all is
>>involved?  The transmission driveline, etc?
>
>Yum! I'm thinking of ditching my Mercury and buying an 85 Rx-7 GSL. =)
>

>BEN RUSET - http://www.monmouth.com/~bruset
>Safety Fast & MG Cars Webring -  http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]