Re: Suspension and wheel/tire upgrades

To: Mx6perform@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Suspension and wheel/tire upgrades
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 15:32:09 -0500
At 02:28 PM 2/1/98 EST, Mx6perform@aol.com wrote:

>I was looking at the Moss catalog at the Monroe shock conversion. I was

>wondering if the conversion would lower my 76 B. If so how much? Also are

>there any ways to lower it more after installing the shocks? I want the lowest

>possible drop for my car. I like my cars to handle on rails. I think that the

>MGB will do this with a few mods. I plan to install a very strong front sway

>bar because to tell the truth my grandmothers car has less body roll than my

>B. Also what types of wheel/tire combos are out there? I don't plan to spend

>$2000 for the wire wheels in the Moss cat. but would like some four lug wheels

>comparable to them.

The Moss shock conversion won't affect ride height.  You need to change springs

to change your ride height or use the spacers to lower vehicle.

Be careful with lowering your ride.  My rear springs are already sagging
slightly

and they are only a few months old.  The resonator hits the speed bumps when I

go over them, which is quite degrading, since I fell like a stupid bass monger

driving a compact truck with neon, and 2" of ground clearance.

I would, however, suggest the sway bars.  I have heard good things about sway

bars and how they help roll immensely.

My '70 B is the one I'm having problems with, so if you have a later B, you

can lower it without problems, likely.

Someone posted instructions on how to mount tube shocks on the rear end of a B

for a cheap amount and minimal work.  I would actually advise this over the
Monroes,

since the Monroes are none other than truck/van shocks.  If you have money

burning a hole in your pocket, grab the Spax rears at around $225.

As far as tires go, you can likely use 185/70r14s on your wheels.  I don't know

if you have wires or rostyles, so I can't make further comments.  Options are

the minilite replicas everybody carries.  I can't comment on quality or

price since I haven't purchased a set for my car yet.  No money in wallet.

Take care

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.