Re: Comment on newer cars

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Comment on newer cars
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 15:23:19 -0500
At 01:36 PM 2/1/98 +0000, Scott Gardner wrote:

>One last comment on this-- Has anyone taken into account that nasty

>little thing called "inflation" when comparing our old cars to a new

>"$23,000 Miata"?  Surely there's an economics major on the list.

>Find that inflation chart that references everything to 1966 dollars

>and find out how much a $23,000 car today would have cost in 1966 or

>1962, and compare it to an MGB.  If you read Porter's book on

>purchase and restoration of MGBs, he says that for the money an MGC

>cost new, you could have TWO six-cylinder Capris, AND an Austin Mini!

> How much would a new MG roadster cost today?  Just look at the

>MGF...

>Scott

Yeah, but have you considered depreciation of the MG versus the Miata.

Every last cent I put into my MG minus my labor appreciates the car, provided

I don't put $15,000 into a 100-point restoration.  Otherwise, I feel good,

knowing that I don't have a car payment each month, and a piece of steel with

wheels that will eventually be worth very little monetarily.  I think another

consideration as well is that many newer cars are not meant to be around long.

They are disposable.  However, I seriously doubt MGs were meant to last 30 years

either.  You can see a wrecked Ford Explorer in a junk yard and think nothing

of it, but put a '58 MGA, Porsche 356, or early Chevy Corvette in it's place
and

one might become sick to the stomach.

I think comparing a Miata to a MG is apples to oranges and shouldn't be tried.

Different worlds, different people, different electrical systems(Jap to
Lucas(ugh!)).

Oh, well, I ramble once again.

bye all

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.