Re: "Auto Starter"

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: "Auto Starter"
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:10:18 +0000
> Typically, the underdash wires to the cigarette lighter are rated at 15 amp
> maximum, often less.  In a typical LBC, they are rated at 8 amp.  I don't know
> the exact amount of current drawn by a starter (depends on the engine,
> naturally), but it is WAY in excess of 8 amp, even way in excess of 15 amp.
> On a big honkin' V8, they can pull over 100 amps!
>
> Has any one read the instructions that come with these?  I wonder what kind of
> "weasel words" the manufacturer uses to avoid liability?

Probably not a big problem of liability, since on most cars, all of
the circuits besides the starter are disabled while the starter is
actually cranking. (A/C, lights, radio, cigar lighter, etc.)  This
means that the starter will never be able to draw power directly from
the battery plugged into the cigar lighter, and you won't have an
over-current condition.  The company is being weaselly enough by not
telling us about the fifteen or twenty minutes you probably have to
wait for the small battery to charge the large one through the
lighter.  Give me a set of jumper cables any day.  I think I can
remember "red to positive" long enough not to blow anything up...
Scott