Re: GT Windscreen

To: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Re: GT Windscreen
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:49:11 -0800 (PST)
Dear listers,

=%OThe GT windscreen is easier to fit in all aspects except the refitting of
=%Othe chrome surrounds.

I have to strongly second that. It took me all afternoon to get my chrome
strips back in and it was extremely unpleasant while doing it. I also
slipped several times and chipped my nice new paint job in about 5 places.
I was sweating like a pig (lost 5 pounds water weight) because if you
rest, and don't hold the strips in, they will pop right out! AARGHH!

=%O
=%OThe factory is said to have had two workers who did nothing but fit those
=%Ochrome strips.  There were two of them so that one could go on holidays
=%Oonce a year.  It is also said that these two fitted every strip on every GT
=%Oever made.

Those poor devils. They must have been amazing guys.

=%ODoes this give you a case of the shakes when attempting the job?  Maybe you
=%Oshould find a windscreen shop who has not done a GT before and get a fixed
=%Oprice quote before they start, having made sure you can buy replacement
=%Ostrips when they are damaged.

And pay to have your paint repaired!

 It is actually not quite so bad if you
=%Ore-use the old rubbers seals (undesirable as that may be).

How on earth would you do that? I should think the flexibility of the new
rubber would work in one's favor?

  The problem is
=%Othat the strips bend easily,

You bet they do, and the corners are boogers to get to stay in place!

the edges damage easily and it is difficult to
=%Oget the ends finishing up at the centre point.
=%O
=%OBeat of luckGraham
=%O97 MGF
=%O
=%O
=%O
=%O
=%O
=%OGraham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
=%Ogmccann@pcug.org.au
=%OPhone/Fax: +61 2 62889055
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II