Re: WA MG

To: mgbob@juno.com, dcdccccckc@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: WA MG
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:34:31 EST
In a message dated 98-02-04 12:25:31 EST, mgbob@juno.com writes:

<<  With respect to worth, I'll quote from Dick Knudson's MG Buyer's Guide,
 1983:
   "Condition, of course, is the prime influence, and the prices on these
 three saloons (the SA, VA, WA) really are not all that far apart from one
 another. As a price guide, these cars seem to sell somwhere between TC's
 and TD's.
   "However, in strictly economic terms, the restoration of one of these,
 especially the S and the W, is hard to justify. THe costs, particularly
 if much professional work is required, are comparable to what one would
 pay to do a Bentley/RR/Jaguar of that vintage. The value of the completed
 car is just not there simply because it is an MG, not a
 Bentley/RR/Jaguar.  It is perhaps unfortunate but it is true and buyers
 should be aware of this anomaly in the "cheap and cheerful" MG thinking."
  But they are beautiful cars....
 Bob

I'm not sure when Dick wrote this but this "value" information is not true
today.  The big MG's sell for condsiderable more than TC's...of course
tempered by condition.  Restored SA Tickfords have recently sold for $65,000
and at the peak of the market in '89 one reportedly sold for $125,000.  The
saloons don't bring that much but they are beautiful and rare cars...... the
WA is one of the rarest of MG's and well worth having no matter the condition.
In a recent article in Classic Cars (I believe it was), the Jag of the era and
the MG WA were compared and there was NO Comparison, the MG won it hands down.

Yes the big MG's are more difficult to restore....but still well worth the
effort.

Terry (restoring an SA Tickford presently.....85% complete)