Re: WA MG

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: WA MG
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:44:22 EST
Terry,
  I'm delighted to hear that news about current values. Knudson's book
was published in 1983. I found it hard to believe that MGs so wonderful
could be so undervalued. The SA and the SS100 have been lust objects of
mine for a long time.  Now, thanks to your information, I know I'll never
be able to be own one. Thus no need to add to the garage--this is saving
me money already.
Bob

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:34:31 EST TATERRY@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 98-02-04 12:25:31 EST, mgbob@juno.com writes:
>
><<  With respect to worth, I'll quote from Dick Knudson's MG Buyer's
>Guide,
> 1983:
>   "Condition, of course, is the prime influence, and the prices on
>these
> three saloons (the SA, VA, WA) really are not all that far apart from
>one
> another. As a price guide, these cars seem to sell somwhere between
>TC's
> and TD's.
>   "However, in strictly economic terms, the restoration of one of
>these,
> especially the S and the W, is hard to justify. THe costs,
>particularly
> if much professional work is required, are comparable to what one
>would
> pay to do a Bentley/RR/Jaguar of that vintage. The value of the
>completed
> car is just not there simply because it is an MG, not a
> Bentley/RR/Jaguar.  It is perhaps unfortunate but it is true and
>buyers
> should be aware of this anomaly in the "cheap and cheerful" MG
>thinking."
>  But they are beautiful cars....
> Bob
>  >>

>I'm not sure when Dick wrote this but this "value" information is not
>true
>today.  The big MG's sell for condsiderable more than TC's...of course
>tempered by condition.  Restored SA Tickfords have recently sold for
>$65,000
>and at the peak of the market in '89 one reportedly sold for $125,000.
> The
>saloons don't bring that much but they are beautiful and rare
>cars...... the
>WA is one of the rarest of MG's and well worth having no matter the
>condition.
>In a recent article in Classic Cars (I believe it was), the Jag of the
>era and
>the MG WA were compared and there was NO Comparison, the MG won it
>hands down.
>
>Yes the big MG's are more difficult to restore....but still well worth
>the
>effort.
>
>Terry (restoring an SA Tickford presently.....85% complete)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]