Re: Bearings

To: "'Skip Kelsey'" <kelsey@value.net>
Subject: Re: Bearings
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:13:27 +0000
> Get your Bentley book out, and follow the directions. The shims are
> critical. They come in .003,.005, and .010. You have to have the right
> clearence. It will change when youinstall new bearings.

I've changed bearings a couple of times, bought additional shims and never used
them.  I had come to the conclusion that the shims are there to cater for the
variations in the hub and spacer, not the bearings, which I would have thought
are
produced to much closer tolerances.  Just a thought.

PaulH.