Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)

To: "John McEwen" <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 98 20:18:06 -0000
On 4/2/98 2:22 pm John McEwen said

>I for one would be happy to comply with your instruction to "drive one".
>Please have is shipped to my address here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and
>I'll arrange to have it shipped on to some of my counterparts here and =
then
>on to Calgary and then in due time to fellow listers in the south -
>starting with Montana from whence it should circulate to the rest of them.
>In about 5 years we should have a definitive opinion about the merits of
>the F by which time of course, its replacement will be out and we will be
>forced to conduct a similar evaluation.
I'll put one in the post to you ;-)

>On a more serious note, can you tell me what the price of a new F is - =
less
>VAT - and can can you included some idea of the cost of optional equipment
>if there is much?  I assume that the car may have a "base" price and they
>an "equipped" price.  I am curious to see if "normal" folks could afford =
>buy one.  Note that the average gross family income in Canada at the
>current rate of exchange is =A322,700 or $38,000 US.  I wonder how many =
of us
>would qualify for a loan or lease for what used to be an "affordable" car?

Without VAT, an MGF 1.8i costs around =A314,700, while the more =
powerful VVC is about =A317,000. You will need to add air-con at =
=A31000. Most other 'extras' are included.

I'm not sure what the average income in the UK is, I suspect it's =
around =A322,000 per head, which makes it higher for a family. But =
remember our cost of living is higher - petrol especially!

Cars in the UK are dearer than in the US, basically cos the dealers =
are ripping us off :-( They argue that the US market is larger so =
they can cut costs - ha ha!

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk