Engine swaps

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine swaps
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 11:20:06 EST
<<This engine will not be stock. I will have converted it to carb. so that it
will not be to complex, and a few intake mods. Also no emissions crap. The
engine without the turbo should have 260hp. When I say low boost I mean around
9-15psi. I mean high boost as 16-22psi depending on the engine. I am not going
to go with two small turbos I like one large turbo and a engine that revs like
crazy.>>

The stock turbo engine is well thought out and runs cleanly. I am not sure why
you would want to change that situation for such things as a single turbo (lag
problems), carb instead of injection (less power, more emissions).
And by the way, 15 psi is not considered low boost, nor can you accomplish
that without new pistons and at least part of the engine management system
that you seem anxious to throw away. I seem to recall the 300  using something
like 8-9 psi, but could be wrong.
If you want to do the swap, and assuming that the physical size and location
strictures are favourable, why not transplant the complete stock turbo motor
_with_ all engine systems? It would be reliable, clean, and have a great deal
of power. Which part of that do you find objectionable.
But hey, if you get your jollies re-inventing the wheel, by all means
......each to his own brand of automotive masochism.
By the way, have you considered non-turbo rotary power? Lots of noise, revs
like a mad sewing machine, and more power than you'd likely need?

Bill S.