Re: Another day, another dead battery

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Another day, another dead battery
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 15:01:20 +0000
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Well, I installed the grose-jets and tried to get
> the MGB going. Removed the incorrect float venting
> connections from the DPO, and set the jets to the
> normal 12 flats startup setting. The jets were set
> all the way up (full lean) so I suspect the DPO was
> having richness troubles from the floats that he
> didn't understand so kept trying to lean the jets.
>
>   Tried to start it....
>
>   No luck, but frankly my battery is dying so fast now that
> I didn't feel I gave it a full test. I gave it about four
> 3-4 second cranks and I am out of battery power. This deep
> cycling is killing it I guess, with the possible addition
> that I have a short that is draining the battery while I
> am fuddling the carbs.
>
>   Anything I should know before I hook up the MGB to my
> rice rocket and use that power to crank until it comes
> to life?
>
>   I've checked just about everything there is a dozen times,
> and I am pretty sure it will just start now if I can give
> it enough chances. I think all this fuel washing might have
> had a negative impact on how well the bores are sealing,
> although a compression test still shows reasonably.
>
> --
> Trevor Boicey
> Ottawa, Canada
> tboicey@brit.ca
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

When the engine shows no sign of starting after repeated attempts, and
particularly after any dismantling, I always recommend going back to
first principles.

Is fuel getting through?  Sniff the plugs after cranking.  Smell petrol?
 You should.  Soaking wet?  They shouldn't be.  You mention 12 flats, I
am sure you know that this is 12 flats down from flush with the bridge.

Check for spark on all four cylinders.  If the plugs are an unknown
quantity try a different set.  Check the points and plug gap.
Verify the condenser by flicking the points open - you should get
very little arcing at the points but a spark at the plug leads of
at least half-an-inch.  Check the static timing.  Check the leads go to
the correct plugs remembering the distributor goes anti-clockwise, start
by checking No 1 at TDC on the firing stroke by putting a thumb over the
plug hole on the compression stroke - it should blow your thumb off
(well, you know what I mean)

Check the valve clearances using the rule of nine.

But I am sure you know all this.

Good luck,
PaulH.