OD Install Progress Report

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: OD Install Progress Report
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 18:06:40 -0700 (MST)
Hey listers..

Howzyer weekend? The engine stands ready to pluck after two days of putzing
about, which included replacing the filter & selenoid plate gaskets on the
OD. (Last weekend, I cleaned it within an inch of it's life, including
polishing the case with Simichrome polish! Looks great...) Also installed
the clutch fork, complete with it's new bush and bolt.

Removed the tranny crossmember and proceeded to drill the two holes to gain
access to the tranmission mount bolt. Those who know - know this one. One
final check this evening to ensure there's no lurking connections, and
tomorrow nite - it's outta there!

I am attempting a drip free installation here (yeah, optimist, I know)so
I've paid particular attention to gaskets, seals etc. Hopefully, once the
front and rear engine seals are replaced, I can park the puppy in any
driveway without fear of those...you know...embarrassing little spots, that
non-LBC owners just don't seem amused by....

Once the engine's out, I get to clean up 7 thousand miles of oil blow-by on
the underside, and plan on re-sparying the underhood area. A leaky brake
union, and a poor finish during the car's restoration neccessiates....

Which brings me to this interesting point. I had planned on replacing most
of the fastners (nuts/bolts etc.) with stainless steel. Yet, today, a friend
called to say that on advice of another friend - one more aquainted with
these things, that ss fasteners don't 'hold' well? Apparently, judicious use
of a 'locktite'-type product is required?

So, if I don't use stainless, what are my options, as I don't want rusty
bolts & fasteners down the line.??

Ramble mode off. It's kinda like a self-help group, this list...

Terry 'Teardown' Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster