Re: LEAKING TRUNK

To: brando@erols.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: LEAKING TRUNK
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:00:18 -0800

>Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 16:45:11 -0800

>From: brando@erols.com

>Subject: stumped

>Can anyone give me a suggestion on where my 78MGB trunk might be leaking.

> I've replaced the weather stripping and the truck lid.

If you have replaced the trunk lid, are you sure it is aligned correctly and
the latch mechanism is adjusted so the lid seals correctly. Chances are a new
lid may not exactly fit the trunk. When new panels are installed, there is
usually an adjustment necessary, ie, form the lid to match the trunk so that it
follows the lines of the body.  Then install your seal.

Check the seal around the filler pipe for the gas tank.  Where this enters the
panel that has the licence plate attached.  Another likely place is the MG
badge attached to the trunk lid, there are three pins that go through the lid
to the inside.  These are the two most likely places.

Some obscure reasons are, the sealant used to seal the fenders to the trunk
floor, in the inner area of the wheel arches, is misplaced and allows the water
to access from below.  The tail light seals may need replacing or the reverse
light seals are leaking and need replacing. Good luck.

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **

1969 MGBGT;1973 MGB;1974 MGB;1976 MGB;1979 MGB; 1972MGB daily driver.