Re: America's True Daredevils "LBC owners"

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: America's True Daredevils "LBC owners"
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 07:35:48 -0800 (PST)
Dear Netters,

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Keith Wheeler wrote:

=%OI once scrounged parts from a 'B that had a
=%Ohead-on with a Bronco.  I could've won a modern
=%Oart prize with the radiator.  Driveshaft pretzeled,
=%Oengine shoved back, rear axle input flange bent,
=%Ocarb sheared off, front suspension collapsed
=%Oand total garbage.
=%O
=%OThe doors still opened and closed on the 'B.  Guy
=%Oin the 'B walked away.  Guy in the Bronco didn't.

I've heard similar stories about the survivability of our LBCs in the
past. What I have been told is that because computer similation and CAD
were not available to the engineers that designed LBCs, they calculated
the necessary strengths as best they could, then added a larger margin of
error than designers do today. Thus our cars are stronger than they need
to be and survive collisions better than one would predict given their
size.

=%O
=%O-Keith Wheeler
=%OTeam Sanctuary                               http://www.teamsanctuary.com/
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II