[MGs} Polishing Electrical Connections

To: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>,
Subject: [MGs} Polishing Electrical Connections
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:53:50 -0500
I've seen several references to using sandpaper to polish electrical
connections.  What works for me is to use a small stainless steel wire
brush (a little bigger than a toothbrush).  I have access to these things
at work, but I have seen them sold in auto stores.  They do a good job of
polishing without removing metal, and they are easier to hold than
sandpaper.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
> To: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
> Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Easy Questions
> Date: Friday, February 13, 1998 2:43 PM
>
> Gary Davis wrote:
> >
> > I just bought my first MGB GT, and I'm a real neophyte.  I read about
two
> > ideas in the recent past that I wish to pursue.  The first was cleaning
the
> > fuse box for better connections and electricals operation.  Could you
> > please repeat that recommendation with details?
>
>       Congrats on the GT!  I'm sure she's a beauty.  We all would like to hear
more
> about her someday, when list traffic is slow...Anyway, a wise man once
recommended
> use of a scotch-brite green pad to clean your electrical connections.  It
seems that
> this method is better than sandpaper, since the green pad does not remove
metal from
> the connector, like sandpaper does.  I like to clean up each spade
connector, then
> tighten the female end of the connection. That way the connection is
clean and tight.
>  For splicing wires, use a simple lineman's splice as opposed to the
pigtail method.
> Be sure to use shrink fit tubing instead of tape...It'll be much safer,
last longer,
> and keep the 'factory' appearance of your wiring...Good luck, if you use
your good
> sense, you'll be just fine...I know you have good sense, you bought an
MG!