thoughts

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: thoughts
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 98 00:19:14 PST
Sometimes it pays to spend a minute or two reflecting on
who we are and why we take the paths we do.

My own racing interests at times seem to clash with other
points of view of those with similar cars, and I try to
understand the differences of approaches.

I've at times questioned the validity of those who worry
about (what seem to me) to be trivial concerns, such as
finding the correct original webbing for the seat belts.
However, I've come to understand those who strive for
"perfectly original" machines.  Within the MG is something
we each admire or desire.  Some people want to conquer time,
to pull a nostalgic past into an imperfect present.  To
defeat time, age, erosion, death itself.  Even what I see
in my MGB is youth, Tom Sawyer heading out, just to see
how far he can go.  It's almost ridiculous, how much faith
we put into mere machines...

...but then...

In our machines we see reflections of ourselves.  It can be a
wonderful image, of thought, creativity, strength, and endurance.
The trophies stand proud and tall, and this give us reason to
do the same.  Sometimes it can be a difficult mirror, when
things go wrong.  Failure is always lurking there, and we
can not easily make it go away.  The delicate balance of
doing the best we can on every job, even those we don't
really want to do, versus the prospect of the "big picture",
wholistically approaching goals, must always be maintained.

Maybe someday, when youth and bravado have faded, I'll
do a perfect restoration on the 'B.  Or maybe I'll just
let it grow old like I will, with scarred hands and
spectacles.

We have to consider that we are all working as Team Mates,
and mistakes on the part of one Team Member can, if left
unchecked, echo into debates, then arguments.  Make it a goal
to do what you say, be true to your word, and true to what
it is about the cars you love.  Your cars, and those of others,
be it working on a friend's autocrosser, or a show car guy
understanding why someone wants a 'B that'll do 0-60 in 4.5 secs.

Remember my friends, you steer with the throttle,

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/