Re: thoughts

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: thoughts
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 05:02:27 -0800
Keith Wheeler wrote:
(with some major editing, on my part)

> My own racing interests at times seem to clash with other
> points of view of those with similar cars, and I try to
> understand the differences of approaches.
>
> I've at times questioned the validity of those who worry
> about (what seem to me) to be trivial concerns, such as
> finding the correct original webbing for the seat belts.
> However, I've come to understand those who strive for
> "perfectly original" machines.  Within the MG is something
> we each admire or desire.

Keith, I came across the same thoughts earlier this year.  I wanted to have an
MGB
that was exactly how it could have come from Abingdon.  At the same time, I
wanted a
tricked out MGB that was faster than the average MG.  I have a salvageable
parts car,
along with my 'stock' '74...Well, you know where this is going...

It is a large leap of faith to see and understand how the other side feels and
thinks.
 For instance, up until recently, I thought the best car owner was someone who
tastefully modified their vehicle to be faster, handle better, etc.  It took
alot of
soul searching to understand why someone would strive to keep their car the
same!  Now
that I see both sides, I can also put them into persepctive.  For example, I
feel the
major metal cutting is not a good thing on my semi-stock '74.  But on the '77
project,
anything can go...

> In our machines we see reflections of ourselves.  It can be a
> wonderful image, of thought, creativity, strength, and endurance.
> The trophies stand proud and tall, and this give us reason to
> do the same.  Sometimes it can be a difficult mirror, when
> things go wrong.  Failure is always lurking there, and we
> can not easily make it go away.

It's tough to admit that your 'baby' let you down.  It's really tough when
folks who
look down at you for driving an 'old' car see your failures!  Stick it out and
remember this:  You only have one life - enjoy it how YOU want to.  The only
failure
is a quitter.

As much as our cars are mirrors of their owners, they also have their own souls
and
personalities that need to be cherished.  Don't try to make your MG something
it
isn't.  Namely, MG convertibles aren't water tight.  As cool as it is to
customize
your car, keep in mind that the car needs to be itself too.

> We have to consider that we are all working as Team Mates,

You bet we are.  We all want an MG that runs well.  Whether it's a 100-point
show car
or a roadster with a Chevy V-8 and racing slicks, we're all drawn together by a
common
thread...The octagon.  On a broader plane, we're drawn together by the love of
cars,
whether they're Brit, American, Italian, etc.  So, try forget the bickering
about
marques, chrome vs. rubber, stock vs. custom and remember one thing: A day will
come
when we won't be around to gripe about petty differences.  Life's too short and
precious to waste.

On that note, tomorrow, if you can, take time to smell the roadsters.

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College