Re: Crack of Doom

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Crack of Doom
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:47:43 -0500
Ken,

I just did the repair to the doors on my '79 this weekend. I put a piece of
18 gauge sheetmetal behind the crack and the area where the mirror monuts.
I drilled 3/16 dia holes at the base of the crack, along both sides of it
and around the mirror area so I could plug weld the sheetmelal in place.

I understand that proper door adjustment is critical to prevent this from
happening but I know there is no way I will accomplish this feat so I
believe reinforcement is the best way to go.

Good luck.

At 09:23 AM 2/15/98 -0800, "ken hedges" <khedges@wkpower.com> wrote:
>After fixing the crack once before, by adding weld material to both the
>inside and outside and cleaning off to the original body shape, the crack
>looks like it is starting to return (after 3 years).
>
>Question, has anyone solved this problem, is it best to add a reinforcing
>strip on the inside of the door?
>
>Got to get ready for spriing.

Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB