Re: Crack of Doom

To: ken hedges <khedges@wkpower.com>
Subject: Re: Crack of Doom
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:55:01 +0000
ken hedges wrote:

> After fixing the crack once before, by adding weld material to both the
> inside and outside and cleaning off to the original body shape, the crack
> looks like it is starting to return (after 3 years).
>
> Question, has anyone solved this problem, is it best to add a reinforcing
> strip on the inside of the door?
>
> Got to get ready for spriing.

I repaired mine some seven years ago, still OK so far.

As well as using a strengthening-piece behind the skin that the mirror plinth
screws into (not welded), I did some work on the edge of the hole where the
crack starts.  On my skin (so to speak) I noticed that on the edge of the hole
where it passed by the side of the quarterlight there was a flange turned down
into the hole, but on the side of the hole that was in front of the
quarterlight there wasn't.  Where the flange stopped the crack had started.  I
happened to see a stripped Heritage shell and noticed that the flange on its
doors went right round the front as well, so I welded a small piece in.

Only the drivers door was cracked, and I also noticed that its quarterlight
was up against the windscreen seal whereas the passenger side had a small
clearance.  Probably best to aim for a small clearance, after all, noise and
water-tightness is hardly an issue on the roadster.

PaulH.