Re: Any fuel pump opinions?

To: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: Any fuel pump opinions?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:37:45 -0600
Blake Wylie wrote:

> <snip> I bought a $30 deal
> at AutoZone, but the only problem I have is to figure out how to fit the
> thing on there.  It's basically a can shaped looking thing (fuel pump in a
> can?).  I would have to bolt is somewhere else or figure out how to get
> those fuel lines to fit around there.  Anybody had any experience with
> fitting one of these on there? <snip>

To answer the questions asked, the fuel-pump-in-a-can type after market item
should be supplied with a band clamp that can be fitted with a single bolt. The
can is usually mounted low on the battery box frame and is accessible in the
right-rear wheel housing. Brass nipples (1/4" I think) are screwed into the pump
and the steel fuel line is cut where convenient such that rubber gas hose can be
used to plumb the pump into the system.

As the cut gas line will not have flared ends, double clamp the hose to the gas
line. Generally, the gas line is cut high up above the rear axle for intake and
just aft of the rear bulkhead going to the carbs. (The exhaust side of the pump
connects with just a couple inches of hose.)

You can also purchase a screw-on fuel filter for the intake side of the pump.
This eliminates one more connection and provides the necessary filtration.

Make sure the pump is low pressure -- no more than 6 pounds -- or it might blow
right passed the floats in the carb. I think the spec is only four pounds at the
carb inlets which will be about right if there is 5 or 6 psi leaving the pump.

You'll have to get used to the pump being silent in operation and so reliable
that you simply forget about it -- until the purists start preaching the S.U.
gospel to you. . .
--
Robert Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"The more crap you put up with, the more crap you are going to get."