Re: Restoring Old Seat Belts

To: johnhunt@ece.ogi.edu
Subject: Re: Restoring Old Seat Belts
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 21:30:41 EST

> Michael:
>
>  I found that the generic lapbelt set from Moss is a suitable
>  source of donor belt material.  Anyhow, it worked for me
>  in renewing the belts in my '68 MGB.
>
>  I was able to keep the original fasteners and use the fresh
>  belt material.  It took a little struggling to get the folded
>  portion of the material through the buckles but it worked.
>
>  The old belt material was faded to gray, probably from UV
>  light exposure.  I doubt if it had much strength left.
>
>  John Hunt
>  '68 MGB

John,

Good tip. I looked into buying some new webbing and it's actually
more expensive than buying  the generic lapbelt set you mention.
How did you stitch the material?

I think it's worth the trouble, fixing up the old belts. They're elegant
in their simplicity, and it's cool the way they anchor in the rear.
(I'm talking about a '71 model here.)

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336