Paint job

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Paint job
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:15:16 -0500
>The other "unknown" factor is whether the cost is anywhere close to
what
>it should be- - the last time i got paint done it came out at around
>$1000 with my doing the prep and all the disassembly/rebuilding - this
>time the best i have found is between $2500 and $3000 - again with my
>doing all the disassembly/rebuilding but including the cost of having
the
>car sandblasted (575)

A lot of factors go into determining the cost of a paint job, not the
least of which is the cost of the paint.  You can get some idea of that
by checking with local auto paint stores and asking the price for the
materials they will be using.  I know that by the time I bought cleaner
(2 types - one for ferrous and one for alumunim), metal etch primer,
primer-filler, base coat, and clear coat plus all the assorted
activators,  reducers, tack rags and rubbing compound - I had spent over
$600 just on materials.  A buddy of mine has been talking about a paint
that costs $1000 a quart .  One factor may be the condition of the body.
I can tell you from experience that I spent far more time getting the
body ready for paint than actually shooting the paint.  Getting the
panels off was the easy part.  I spent hours tapping out dents and
dings, blending putty in where I couldn't completely eliminate the
flaws.  Now that it is about done - it looks pretty good except for the
few places where I got in a hurry or cut corners.  They look like crap
and I will most likely go back and redo those spots.  I know 3 grand is
a lot of money (at least for me it is) - you may want to shop around a
bit more or ask these folks for an estimate.  Another option would be to
talk with the folks at your local paint store and see if they can
recommend someone who moonlights or does it part time.  Also - what are
you having painted?  Just the body or the whole deal?  You may want to
think twice about having the body sandblasted.  I've heard it can warp
your panels and cause problems.

-ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal