Re: Paint job

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Paint job
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:10:30 -0800
Cordell, Ralph PhD wrote:
> > A lot of factors go into determining the cost of a paint job, not the
> least of which is the cost of the paint.  You can get some idea of that
> by checking with local auto paint stores and asking the price for the
> materials they will be using.

> I can tell you from experience that I spent far more time getting the
> body ready for paint than actually shooting the paint.

Ralph and others-
        I'm not too tuned into the engine work but I do know it's CHEAP
compared to quality body work.  Quality body work takes time--there is
now way around it.  Even w/ new Rover body panels, there is a lot of
time necessary to work them to where they will look good.
        A quality body shop around here gets 50-60 dollars an hour.  We can
argue all day about whether that is worth it or not but that is the
rate.  If you are paying for a "paint job" then Earl Schieb is the place
to go.  Two or three hundred will get it painted.  Now if you want to do
it right, it's going to cost you 3-5 grand--that's the way it is.  Ralph
is absolutely right--the preparation is everything.  Almost anyone can
"paint" a car.  Do the prep, buy the paint, and bring it to my house and
I'll shoot it for nothing.  You will have to have done all the metal
work, the flat sanding, and all the other stuff which takes all the time
and most of the money.  I won't spend the hundreds of hours necessary
for that stuff for free, however, and that's where quality paintwork
costs a lot.
        Some one said once "You get what you pay for"
and he/she was right, especially in body work.
--
Larry Dickstein     Kansas City, MO
'58 Bugeye, '67 BJ 8, '67 MGB V8