Serious shaving on a 1965 'B' head?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Serious shaving on a 1965 'B' head?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 17:02:26 +0000
I have a 1965 cylinder head with the large combustion chambers on my
1972 18V engine.  As a result, my compression numbers are in the
cellar.  This also causes me new problems when I'm looking at
pistons, because if I order the pistons for a 1972 engine, they're
expecting the smaller combustion chambers, so I get a low
compression ratio.  If I order the older pistons that will work with
the head, I have the wrong connecting rods.  Since I just got the
engine rebuilt in November, I'd like to fix my CR woes without buying
new pistons or rods at all.
        Is it possible to shave enough material off of the old large-chamber
heads to reduce the chamber size to that of a newer head?  If I can
do this, I can just order the newer 18V pistons, and the compression
ratios will be as advertised in the catalog.  If not, can I use the
older rods and pistons with the old head in a 18V engine?
        I know I can order custom pistons from Venolia, but would prefer
using a standard part.  I could also just break down and buy a 18V
head, but my old head is straight, uncracked, and recently completely
rebuilt, so I'd like to hold onto it.
        Does anyone know how much I'd have to shave the head to make the
chamber volume equivalent to a 18V head?  I know I can take off .060,
based on the recommendations of some of the list members, but I don't
know what this reduces the chamber volume to.
Thanks,
Scott