Subject: Re: Serious shaving on a 1965 'B' head?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Subject: Re: Serious shaving on a 1965 'B' head?
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:47:18 -0800
Gregg Baker wrote:

>    I would imagine you could shave more than .060 if you notched the pistons
>for valve clearances.  This is done often on "regular" engines and I'd be
>interested in hearing from a guru if this shouldn't be done with an LBC.

I wouldn't cut a 'B head much.  My experience with anything more than
shaving for trueness has been negative.  Remember, when you shave a
head, you're not just raising the compression ratio.  You are
modifying the valve train geometry.  I've seen 'Bs with heads milled
to the point of making it difficult to set the valves.  It's another
one of those "lowering a RB MGB threads":  yes, you can do it, but,
there's more involved (in *any* engine* than just milling the heads
and slapping them on for higher compression.

At 05:02 PM 2/22/98 +0000, Scott wrote:

>I have a 1965 cylinder head with the large combustion chambers on my
>1972 18V engine.  As a result, my compression numbers are in the
>cellar.  This also causes me new problems when I'm looking at
>       I know I can order custom pistons from Venolia, but would prefer
>using a standard part.  I could also just break down and buy a 18V
>head, but my old head is straight, uncracked, and recently completely
>rebuilt, so I'd like to hold onto it.

I don't have much experience with early 'B heads, so is this '65 head
a small valve head?  If you want to raise compression for performance
purposes, you'd probably be much better off finding a decent 18V
head.  Bigger valves, correct for the engine, and if you mill that
non-cracked '65 head, there's no absolute promise that the machining
operation will be successful, *and* you can never put that metal
back on.  Look for someone with a '65 that wants your head, trade,
buy/sell, whatever.  For these various reasons I don't think shaving
the head is the best move.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/