Re: What would you ask?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What would you ask?
From: stuart farmer <k7wf@kalama.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:46:24 -0800
At 06:56 PM 2/23/98 -0400, you wrote:

>> No fair asking "What does MOWOG mean?" They
>>never knew!  ;-)
>
>While at a tech session for my club this weekend,
>an old english mechanic who had been at it since
>1939 said that MOWOG was Short for:
>
>MO=Morris
>WO=Woolsey <sp?>
>G=MG
>
>Is he right? I don't know, but it sounded good!
>
>Robert Weeks
>Durham NC
>1969 Midget
>http://www.woozy.com/midget/

ROBERT,  to help answer your question.....I worked as an apprentice in a
garage for 5 years in Wales from 1948 to 1952 working on LBC's.... Morris,
Rover, Jaguar, Riley, MG, Morgan, BSA, Ford, etc etc.
I then was in the British Army (R.E.M.E.)* for two years (compulsory service).
Then I worked in the garage again (in Wales) for another three years before
coming to USA to live. I am now retired after 30 years with EXXON OIL Co.

The answer you gave , as far as I was aware, is correct.

MOWOG stood for: MO=MORRIS
                 WO=WOLSELY
                  G=MG

These were the three companies involved and all the parts we ordered had
"MOWOG" stamped on them. This proved that they were genuine parts from the
factory.

* R.E.M.E = Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers.

All that time I was the proud owner of a 1939 MG TB, so I was really "into"
everything concerned with MG's at that time.
This may, or may not interest you, but at that time Wolsely's were the cars
used by the police. They were VERY fast, and on a couple of occasions they
caught me in my MG TB....Oh to be young again !! Those were GREAT days in my
life.

Cheerio, Stuart....'79 MGB
Stuart Farmer
2724 Florida St.