Re: lumpy idle

To: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Subject: Re: lumpy idle
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:44:54 -0500
Hi Alan:

Check for a vacuum leak or a float level problem.  You can spray WD-40
around gasket surfaces and on throttle shafts to see if rpms rise which
would indicate a leak.  You can also check plugs after letting the car idle
for a bit.  An oversupply of fuel should show up as excessive carbon.

If this proves unsuccessful you should apply vacuum to the vacuum advance
in case the diaphragm is perforated.

There is also a possibility that you have a pollution device problem which
is causing an excessive leaning condition but I can't help you there as I
don't have any working stuff on my engine to guide my experience.

John