Introduction & Jaguar Price Answer

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Introduction & Jaguar Price Answer
From: "Carl Franklin" <carlf@dustdevil.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:05:45 -0600
Hello to the list!

I've been lurking for a week or so now and waited 'til there
was something I was a little more familiar with before I
jumped in.  Someone recently asked a question about
a Jaguar and I feel a little better about answering that
one than some of the great questions I've seen on engines, etc.
Before I get too deep, though, I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Carl Franklin.  I'm a college professor at a small school
in Kansas.  While I don't own an MG at the moment I've had
7 of them over the last 25 years and am looking to buy
another in the not too distant future.  My interest is mostly in
driving since I have the mechanical ability of a rock!  My mind
says I can do all the mechanical work but my hands don't
seem to agree all the time.  :-)

Now, to the question that brought from lurkdom:

>Anyone on here knowledgable about Jags?

Some, I've had a couple over the years.

> Have an opportunity to obtain
>very reasonably from my elderly doctor his original 1966 3.8S Jaguar. I
>know little of the marque and it is by no means an LBC! Unless the L =
>Large! Low mileage and pristine condition. What are they worth and how
>desirable?

I'll go at this one backward: starting with desirability.  For Jaguar fans
they are always desirable.  For non-Jag fans then it will depend on the
model.  The most desirable among most folk is the E-type of the
XKs.  Personally I had a 140 that was my favorite, but that was
years ago.

As for the value of the 3.8S I'll give you a couple prices that I pulled
from the newspapers (since I'm looking for an MG or other Brit
car I've been perusing the papers a lot).  Here are a few examples:

1. 1965 JAGUAR ANTIQUE, 1965 3.8 S Jag no eng but have trans
needs restoration., $3,000.00, (310) 547-9151
Location: San Pedro, CA

2. 1966 JAGUAR MARK II, 3.8s blue and blue real good condition
not original interior auto engine rebulit 7 years ago wires offer ,
$5,000.00, (916) 486-8952 mikenann@pacbell.net
Location: Sacramento, CA

3. 1966 JAGUAR, 3.8 S, exc. rust free body, runs & drives, needs
paint & leather on seats, very nice chrome, fast appreciating
CLASSIC, $6500, Worldwide delivery available, call Sullivan
Motors, 702-786-7808 or fax 702-786-7920. (702) 747-3710
Location: Reno, NV

4. 66 JAGUAR 3.8S model, runs, 4-speed, 6-cylinder, lt blue,
navy leather, great chrome, wire knock offs, parts books, service
manuals, sacrifice at $5195 (336)286-9262 GREENSBORO (10)
Location: Greensboro, NC

There may be a lot more out there but this is just a cursory
search for you.  Region of the country will make some difference
in price, but as you can tell the condition has the most to do with
it.

My best guess is that if you can get the car for less than $5k then
it may be well worth it.  Of course, if it's low milage and/or a one
owner then the price will go up.

Good luck to you, and I hope this helps.

Carl Franklin
carlf@dustdevil.com  -- Home PC
franklin@mg.cloudccc.cc.ks.us  -- Office PC
<http://www.geocities.com/wallstreet/4199>