Re: Leaf Springs

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Leaf Springs
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 21:42:20 EST
On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:26:30 -0500 Adrian Jones
<AdrianJones@compuserve.com> writes:
>Hi Folks,
>        I've just noticed my Midget is lower to the ground at the
>back, on the driver's side.  I was hoping that the tire may have less
air in it
>than the other side, but, alas, no.  Taking a look underneath, one of
the
>leaf springs is broken, so I guess I'm going to be changing 'em.  Geez,
>this car is going to be like Granpa's axe, totally original - just had
five new
>handles and nine new heads.
>        According to Haynes, the job looks pretty simple (ha!).  Is
>there anything I should know before starting and anything else I should
be
>doing "while I'm at it"?
1.  Lay in a good supply of your favorite malt beverage;
2.  Get a good pair of safety glasses (there is more crud under the car
than you can realize, all of which will fall in your face)
3.  When releaseing the spring from the axle, support the axle with your
floor jack. Dont trust the rebound straps. They can break
4. Before loosening the U bolts, support the spring with a small "bottle"
jack under the center of the spring mount pad. This allows you to ease
the spring down, without it suddenly coming loose from the axle and
scaring the H**L out of you.

Good Luck
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget
>        Much appreciate any advice.
>
>TIA,   Adrian =
>
>        =

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]