Re: Crappy car manuals

To: sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu
Subject: Re: Crappy car manuals
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:38:25 +0000

> > I hate VW's I had the same experance with the damm sump plug. it requred
> > the godzilla of allen wrenches to remove it witch would not be in for 3
> > weeks. so I heated a pice of steel up super hot and pounded it into the
> > hole then doused it with water and voila a plug remover thingamabob.
> >
> Jeez, all you have to do is take a 17mm bolt, stick the head in the plug
> and thread two nuts onto it right up next to each other and use your
> favorite wrench to undo it.
>
> Or instead of buying a 17mm bolt use a Rabbit lug bolt :-)
>
> Personally, I got my 17mm allen key at Sears :-)
>
> --
> Sean Bartnik
> Fredericksburg, Virginia
> '81 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia
> '74 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia convertible
> http://www.type2.com/bartnik/myvan.htm

I had a similar experience on my VW Jetta.  there is a plug that
covers the access hole for checking the ignition timing that uses a
hex fastener about the size of a typical crowbar cross-section.
Since it's a low-torque fitting, I just found a putty knife that
would snugly fit between opposite corners in the fastener and
unscrewed it with that.  Beat hell out of paying $22 for the honking
allen wrench.
Scott