Re: Our LBC History

To: autox MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Our LBC History
From: "George (Pete) Tolleson" <gtoll@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 15:01:18 -0500
> In a message dated 2/27/98 10:28:19 PM, vwruss@gte.net wrote:
>
> >>Thought I would start something new.
> >>
> >>Thought it would be a lot of fun to hear why we started to drive
> >>British Cars, or what it is that attracts us to these little cars
> In my case it was a ride in an Uncles TR-3 that did the foul deed... <

I'm new to this list (posted a note about a 68 GT for sale a couple of
days ago) but I had to reply to this.

My love for LBCs started when a friend asked me to ride along with him
to Sebring for the endurance race in 1960. He had a new MGA GT (I don't
think that's what it was called, but is was a hard-top, not a roadster)
and let me drive a good bit on the trip from SC down to FL and back.
That's all it took!

I couldn't afford to buy any kind of LBC at that point, but picked up a
'58 Morgan +4 a few years later when I was in school in California.

I'd had a recurrent nightmare for years about driving on a mountain road
with no guardrails and going off into space on a curve. I never had that
dream again after I'd had the Morgan for a couple of weeks. Drove it as
my only car until I moved back to SC with my 3 yr old daughter and
needed something with a heater.

A few years after that I found a good deal on an Alfa Duetto (not
British, but a neat car). Drove it 'til it needed some major engine work
I couldn't afford. Sold it.

I bought the 68 MGB GT in 1993. It had been up on blocks for 13 years
before the PO bought it and restored the body and interior. I had a
top-end engine rebuild done after I'd had it a year. It was "my" car and
the Plymouth van was my wife's. We traded the van for a Subaru wagon
last year because of the snow here in the mountains and her need to go
for dialysis three times a week.

I love LBCs, but my wife died in January and I can't justify two cars.

I've really been enjoying this list, BTW. It's impressive how eager
folks are to help one another.

Pete Tolleson
Swannanoa, NC

  '68 GT
  '96 Subaru wagon
  2 '86 cats + 1 set of *real* wheel chocks
  '86 "bagel" (basset+beagle)
  '87 Belgian sheepdog
  '94 (?) ball python/spare fan belt