Re: More Stupid Questions

To: bruset@monmouth.com
Subject: Re: More Stupid Questions
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 15:09:19 EST
Diddnt someone once say "the only stupid question is the one that isnt
asked"...

On Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:17:10 -0500 Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
writes:
>Okay, yesterday I looked under the car and couldn't find the OD, but
>then again, I wasn't exactly sure of what to look for. Also, the car was
in
>a pebbled driveway, so the weight of the car made it sink, making it
>very hard for me to look up and under far enough.

Those who responded yesterday pretty much described what to look for but
one sure fire thing you will see is a nameplate bolted to the O/D under
the car

>Isn't there an indicator light that comes on when OD is engaged?

Not as standard on a 69 but one could have been wired in

>There's a lot of weird lights in this car:
>
>Sitting in the drivers seat, there's a rectangular plate with a red
>lens in it.

Breke testing switch - it likely doesnt work and dont worry about it -
for my money its a vestigial organ like male nipples.....

Then a turn signal, then three lenses, all look to be cut like
>jewels
>(they have facets), then another turn signal. If I had my Moss catalog
>handy, I'd look it up myself. What's all this stuff do?

There should be a chrome plated LH turn signal, then the red alternator
light, then a blue (might be faded to nearly white) high beam light then
another chrome plated RH turn signal-  anything other than these is an
add-on

>Second, the PO has installed a wood rimmed wheel. I'd like to take it
>outand install it in my 78. Problem is, I need a center cap, the finish
>on the wood is flaking off (no big deal),

You can rub it down and refinsh it fairly easily - use shellac to get
that really smooth feel.....

 and the chrome in the center is
>pitted.I'm leaning towards sanding the chrome and painting it flat black
-
>I'dlike a graphite sort of look. Will this wheel fit on my 78? For point

>of reference, the car with the wheel is a 69 BGT.

Does it have a centre at all? - if you want to get a noce look get it
powdercoated, if it doesnt have one you may have a problem mating one to
it -

>Third, I'm still looking for a trunk lid for my 78. Email me your
>offers.

I have a stripped 69 one - drilled for a luggage rack - any good?

>Fourth (heh), on my 78, the car makes an odd noise. At idle with the
>clutch in, it makes a low whining noise. With the clutch out (meaning
>depressed) the noise goes away. The car seems to shift gears fine, and
the clutch
>pedal seems to have a good feel to it. Is this normal?

Sounds like thrust bearings - no it isnt normal and i'll let the tech
mavens tell you how to fix it!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]