Re: MGA rear wheel bearing update, Q's (long)

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com
Subject: Re: MGA rear wheel bearing update, Q's (long)
From: Mike Lambdin <MLAMBDIN@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:51:07 -0500 (EST)
Bill,

My experience with axles has been with "muscle cars" but I sure some of
the basic principles still apply.

>After pulling the axles and cleaning the bearings with brake cleaner, I
>found that the surface of the inner race on the right side looked a little
>frosted.  This bearing was also noisier than the left bearing when spun.
>Remember that this is after most of the lubricant was cleaned off.  They
>were both quiet as a church mouse with gear lube all over them.

As I stated in an earlier response, just because it sounds ok in your hand
doesn't mean it's good. If it's suspect and there is significant milage
on the bearings it probably best to replace them, beings the old ones have
been removed.

>allow use of the axle nut to pull the bearing into place.  I am thinking
>that I will have to carefully "upset" them into place with the subtle
>caress of my 2 lb hammer.  As always, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure you know this, but just in case, put a block of wood between the
hammer and the bearing. I've heard some guys say they've used a large rubber
or leather knock-off hammer to do this...watch out for rebounding rubber
hammers.

Good luck.