Re: MGA rear wheel bearing update, Q's (long)

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA rear wheel bearing update, Q's (long)
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:23:45 -0800
At 10:03 AM 3/5/98 -0600, Bill Eastman wrote:

>One last question if anyone has read this far.  How do I put these things
>back on?  the threaded axle housing end does not protrude sufficiently to
>allow use of the axle nut to pull the bearing into place.  I am thinking
>that I will have to carefully "upset" them into place with the subtle
>caress of my 2 lb hammer.  As always, any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>One last thing- I bough a 4 wheel drive hub socket for a Dana 44 that
>looked like it might work on those 8-sided axle nuts.  No such luck.  It
>looks like Moss is going to have another customer for their axle nut socket
>since I don't want to chisel them back on.

No way!!! You go back and get the correct 4-wheel drive socket!

-- pause--

OK... I just went out and dug in the "shop". Well... the socket must be at
the OTHER "shop" because it's not out there...

So, the 4-wheel drive socket that I got I ~think~ the lady said was for
Ford 4wd. I had the axle nut in my pocket and she took it back and found
the socket. WAG on her part, but it worked!! About $15 as I recall..
That's been over a year ago... sorry I don't have the socket on site. It's
even in its packaging with the info on it.

The package was red and white with black letters, as if that's really going
to help! Take the nut and see what you can find. You'll be saving a goodly
sum over the Moss price...

HTH

Carol