Re: Quandry.. 14" or 15" Wheels for MGB

To: Rick Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Subject: Re: Quandry.. 14" or 15" Wheels for MGB
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 16:30:10 -0800
Rick Feibusch wrote:
 > Contrary to the beliefs of many rodders and racers, the factory pays
REAL
> engineers lots of money to calculate the best way to do things.   The MGB had
> a number of aspects for the engineers to consider when these cars were
> designed. Ride heigth, clearence in motion, ride smoothness, steering ease,
> sound level, unsprung weight, as well as handling.

> My best advise: instead of spending lots of money and screwing around with
> re-engineering your car (unless you are REALLY into that) buy the best
> quality high performance standard sized tyres.....

        Couldn't agree more, Rick, except that you forgot to factor in the "gee
whiz" factor.  I suspect that the 195x65R15 directional tires and
Panasport 15x6 alloy wheels on my V8 project gets an 82 percentile in
the "gee whiz" scoring.  That is "gee whiz, you got some neat rubber on
that thing".  You are technically correct in what you say but you can't
forget the fluff!!

Larry Dickstein     Kansas City, MO
'58 Bugeye, '67 BJ 8, '67 MGB V8