Re: BComing, Revolution, Seat Belts, Geo Metros

To: mgb_73@juno.com
Subject: Re: BComing, Revolution, Seat Belts, Geo Metros
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 09:23:43 -0800
Jim Kearman asked:
> Just to save face, here, someone mentioned getting 32 mpg from a 75 B. I
> have a rebuilt 5-main engine with two SUs that crave attention, and OD. I
> can get 25 mpg on 91 octane gas. I sure didn't get the car for economy,
> but I've always tracked gas mileage as a way of determining developing
> problems beneath the bonnet. So, what kinda mileage does YOUR LBC get?

Just puttering about town in my  '67 (sort of) MGB GT, I get mileage in the
very, very low 20's. I haven't done any really long road trips lately, but
about five years ago, I averaged 30 mpg on the first leg of a trip up from
LaCresenta, CA (LA suburb) to Eugene, OR (about 880 miles), and slightly less,
~28 mpg, on the final leg to my destination on Whidbey Island, WA, just north
of Seattle (about 320 miles). My B has an 18V engine, LH overdrive, and SU HS-6
carbs. I was driving alone, but loaded down with luggage in the passenger seat
and rear deck, and driving mostly 70-ish mph until I left Eugene. Traffic
congestion through  Portland and Tacoma/Seattle slowed me way down on the final
leg. That, and WA state troopers and county Sheriffs. They cheat -- they drive
all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of colors, without light bars -- impossible
to spot, until they pull up on your rear bumper. At least we automotive
scoff-laws in la-la land had a sporting chance of spotting the good ole CHP in
their highly recognizable black and whites before they spotted us.

Regards,
Jerry