Re: whitewater testing....

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: whitewater testing....
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:11:47 -0700
Hi Mike:

I must have done something right.  Yours is one of several notes commenting
on leaky MGB tops.  I installed a new top on my '70 (which has a '73 top
set up) in 1995 and have driven in some awful downpours.  The total water
encroachment has been about 12 drops that oozed between the windshield top
seal and the windshield upper frame.  These drops subsequently ran down the
sun visor and drop onto my knee as I drive.  I don't know what I did but it
has been a marvellously watertight car.  The scary thing is that I can look
right out past the top of the side windows through a 1/2" gap but water
never enters here.

The worst turkey of a top was the mess on my '62 Sunbeam Alpine.  I
remember an old joke which perfectly describes it. "Definition:  High Tide
- A Sunbeam Alpine in the rain".  This thing was so bad that we had to
drive with green garbabe bags on our laps.  If the car was parked in the
rain overnight, I had to cover the seats and bail out the water in the
morning.  There was often as much as an inch of water on the floor.  This
was with a new top.  The "design" was typically British - let the customer
do the research.

John