News group follow ups

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: News group follow ups
From: Robert Newell <rnewell@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:40:30 -0500
I appreciate everyones feedback on the news group, even those who did not
agree with me.  :-)
you did point out some valid points such as :

1. spam.  yes, it can be avoided, by making a change in your "reply to:"
address in your news program, and writing the real one in the body of the
message so if someone wants to mail you they can.

2. flame wars, off the subject material, etc.  yes, this can happen, but in
my experienced most auto related newsgroup are relatively free of this.

Also, starting a news group would not end this mailing list, in fact it
could make it bigger if you tell others on the news group about it.

and as Robert Weeks pointed out:
"If someone wants to start a usenet group, why not let them? No one
says you have to partake in it. I'd rather have as many sources to
draw information from as possible. Not all of the MG owners in the
world are on this list, by opening new avenues of communication
between MG owners we may gain from the experience of others who know
nothing of this list."

also John Van Syckel:
"Starting an MG newsgroup would not limit the number of messages, nor the
content, but would download to your machine faster.  You'd still have all
the same good stuff, just a bit faster and more organized. :-)"

in my opinion, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and if you don't
want to join the news group you don't have to.  Even if the newsgroup were
started, it would not harm this mailing list in any way.

thanks again,
Robert Newell